Frequently Asked Questions

1. What does Glover Customs Brokers do for you?

For imports Glover is the link between you, the carrier and  Canada Customs (CBSA). We examine your documentation and complete  any missing information either through you or your vendor. We classify your products according to the Harmonized System (HS) and identify ways to minimize duty or other costs. We work with the transportation carrier to co-ordinate timely release from customs, solve problems and ensure delivery. Whether your import  or export goods frequently or occasionally, Glover is a valuable partner on your team.

2. How does Glover charge fees?

We charge fees based on different factors depending on the type of shipment. Fee’s can be charged based on value of the shipment, number of products on the invoice and disbursements made on your behalf.

3. Does Glover provide shipping services?

We have access to full transportation services for your shipments. Arrangements can be made for your goods whether they are travelling by land, air or sea. 

4. What can I import into Canada?

You can import almost anything into Canada with the exception of certain products, which are prohibited by legislation or other trade rules. Please contact us regarding the specific regulations for your products.

5. What if my goods are entering Canada in a location where Glover is not physically located?

Glover is connected electronically with Canada Border Services Agency and can clear your products anywhere in Canada. If we need someone to present documents or deal with problems we have agents in all locations.

6. Does Glover provide exporting services?

Yes. We can assist with the required documentation, file your export entry (B13A) and arrange the shipping of your exports.

7. How does the Harmonized System (HS) work?

The Harmonized System is an international commodity classification (six digits) developed under the auspices of the Customs Cooperation Council. It is extended to ten digits for imports to serve as the basis for Customs tariffs and international trade statistics. The Harmonized System is based on a fundamental principle that goods are classified by what they are and not according to their stage of fabrication, use, made in Canada status, or any other criteria.

8. How do I pay CBSA?

Once you have an account set up with us and establish credit, Glover acts on your behalf when paying CBSA. We will then invoice you and give you up to 15 days to pay. For large clients other options such as GST direct or obtaining your own bond may be available.

9. Can my US exporter take care of Canadian Customs clearance?

Your US exporter can become an non-resident importer (NRI). This means the exporter becomes the Importer of Record into Canada.  There are some things for your vendor to consider if they take this approach. If they are a frequent importer CBSA may require that they file a bond.  They will have to consider the GST implications and  in some cases become a GST registrant. In addition if they keep their books and records outside of Canada they will need to agree to pay for all travel expenses to their location for Customs auditors in the event of an audit. Please contact us for additional information.

10. How do I import a vehicle?

The first thing to do is to consult the registrar of Motor Vehicle website www.riv.ca  to see if Transport Canada will allow the import of your vehicle. Many vehicles imported from the USA are admissible, vehicles from other countries are in general not allowed to be imported.  Once that determination is made there is an obligation to notify US Customs of the export of the vehicle at least 72 hours prior to export. Arrangements for import into Canada, payment of any duty and taxes and filing of the necessary RIV forms can all be set up through Glover Customs Brokers. In addition to the bill of sale and registration documents we need to know the day and the port you are driving through. If you are using a commercial carrier rather than driving we  need to co-ordinate with the carrier.

11. What are Customs penalties and when do they apply?

Administrative Monetary Penalties or AMPS place the responsibility for total compliance (100% accuracy) on importers, exporters and transportation companies.  For an importer there are four main areas to look at: origin, tariff classification, valuation and reporting overages and underages when the quantities received do not match the invoice.  For exporters penalties are assessed for failing to file an accurate B13A export entry and for not obtaining required export permits or licenses for goods on the Export control list